October 18, 2012

Day 18: Sweet, Awkward Moments

Last night as I put him to bed, Mac asked me to stay behind and snuggle with him for a minute; I couldn't turn him down. He recovered from his stomach bug, but is cutting his two-year-old molars, and MB is a few days behind him on that tummy stuff. It hasn't been our most cheerful week, though it's nothing we can't handle.

Mac wanted me to lie down for "just one minute" because he didn't want to "start sleepin' alone. I can do it by myself, but I wanna start with you." Who could resist?

As I got in bed, with his white noise blaring and his lights off, it was hard to keep my eyes open. He knew how to keep me awake and interacting, though - he sang to me.

The number was something he wrote on the fly all by himself, and the melody was as repetitive as it was simple. It's the best song I've ever heard:

"I love you, Mama. You are my one. You love God and Jesus and they love youuuuuuu. I am so proud of you. You are my Mama."

I nearly died. "My one?" This kid knows how to lay it on thick, and I ate it up.

A few minutes later, understanding that flattery is the surest way to earn extra snuggle time my heart, this gem came out of his mouth:

"You know what you're good at, Mama? Lots of things. Cooking, sitting down on the potty, washing dishes, opening curtains, finding my shoes, closing curtains, putting your pants on, sleeping with people... All kinds of things."

My son thinks I cook and wash dishes (victory!); he also thinks I'm good at sleeping with people.

I suppose Mac meant snuggling, but still - this is one story I hope he doesn't relay word for word to his teacher. I'll let you know if she starts giving me "you skank!" looks.

Don't forget to leave a comment on Tuesday's post to win a Beaufort bonnet or Beaufort bucket hat from The Beaufort Bonnet Company! The giveaway closes tomorrow morning.

*This post is day 18 in my 31 Days of What Matters.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

This is my favorite “Anne Says So” post ever. I can just hear sweet Mac singing those adorable words. I’m dying here!

Wynn loves to make up songs, too, and I have a recording of him singing on my phone. I play it whenever I need a pick-me-up. Works every time! These boys sure know how to get us. xo

Anne said...

I am dying laughing! I think you should be very proud of yourself, sitting on the potty and sleeping with people are not skills that everyone can pull off well!!

Sweet Caroline said...

Oh my goodness. The sweetness. This has me laughing out loud!

StratPack said...

Could not contain my laughter while reading this during a lull in a 6-hour deposition with ten other folks in a law office conference room! I'm sure they were wondering what I was doing. This totally cracks me up. What a character!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

Ahh, I love it, so cute!! What a sweet boy! I love those kinds of memories! hehe :)

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

From the mouths of babes - HA. Sweet Mac.

My boy is just starting in on the sleep delay tactics, and I can only hope this sort of listing of my, ah, qualities comes up vs. his current voicing of bedtime demands (water! more trucks! oh my! :-).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails


      

      



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved