April 30, 2010

Celebrating Moms

Mother's Day has always been special to my family. Church service, brunch, family time - I have a lot of happy memories from Mother's Days gone by. Since B and I have been married, we've made an effort to rotate sharing this holiday with each of our families, as we do other big occasions.

This year, though, there's another mom in the mix: me. All these months later, I still can't grasp that I'll be celebrating Mother's Day this year. It's difficult to imagine a more special Mother's Day than my very first.

More than just a carnation as I walk into church or a pat on the back for my hard work, this seems like a celebration of survival. I've made it through seven months and I can call myself a mom! I fall into the same category as so many of the women I respect, admire, and seek out for advice. It's amazing - what a privilege!

My Mother's Day celebration might be delayed as we travel to and from Columbia, introduce Mac to hometown friends, celebrate this sweet girl's twins at a baby shower and enjoy time with my mom and the rest of our extended family. I'm so looking forward to my very first Mother's Day as a family of three and a mother to one.

Twenty-something Mother's Days later, I've run through all the go-to gifts and sometimes struggle to find the perfect gift for my mom. Add Bradley's mom into the mix and I'm even more stumped. (I just used my good idea on her birthday gift last week. I need to borrow someone's brain cells!)

I've got a whole slew of great gift ideas for myself, though. Isn't that always the way it goes? If I were the buy-myself-a-gift type o' girl, I'd be snapping up a few of these treats:


A manicure and pedicure. (I'd probably wait 'til after my calligraphy class wraps up to take advantage of this. You've never seen so much ink on one pair of hands!)

Aveda Shampure shampoo and conditioner. I adore this scent; it's such a treat to turn your head and get a little pick-me-up of fragrance throughout the day!


My Longchamps Le Pliage bag is a baby-proof favorite. I have it in a wonderful green, but it's almost had the life loved out of it. I'd love this same bag in the dark bilberry purple, or perhaps the sky blue? (You know how I love purple anything...)

I love these Janna Conner initial necklaces, particularly the coral and the blue with accent beads.

South Moon Under flower earrings; these come in a variety of colors for a great price.

Now for the "a girl can dream" category. (Subtitle: The mystery and excitement of gift-giving is severely impeded by joint bank accounts, Dave Ramsey and the practicality that comes with motherhood.)

Lilly Pulitzer Murfee scarf in a beautiful, springy pattern. The only thing I miss about winter is my scarf collection! Instant outfit changer!

The coveted orange Tory Burch Reva flats. Hey, they ship free!



Lizzie Scheck Coin with Diamond necklace

And, as with any holiday, pearls are a timeless choice as well. We're still in the dreaming category, right?

My friends Steph and Erin have each blogged about other fabulous Mother's Day gift ideas. They're celebrating their first Mother's Days, too.

What are you buying for your mom this year? How will your family be celebrating?

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Enjoy your FIRST Mother's Day!!! You can only celebrate your first Mother's Day once! Soak up all the baby love!!!

Anne said...

Thanks, Kathy!! You soak up your "big" baby's love and the glow that comes with your baby-to-be. What a fun Mother's Day for you too!

Kristen said...

Aw! You deserve each and every one of those goodies and then some! So excited for you to bask in your first Mother's Day! Enjoy!! xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails


      

      



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved