April 18, 2010

Things You Should Know: Part Five

Two years ago today I wrote my first official blog entry!! After a particularly feisty exchange of mass emails, my friend Sarah created this blog, and its fabulous domain name, for little ol' me. I'm so glad she did!

Take a look, if you're so inclined, and read about the Columbia controversy that kick-started Anne Says So. My blog was private for some time, but after getting to "know" so many others through their writing, I took it public.

If you're not from 'round here, or if you haven't known me for ages, you may not understand the initials/monogram joke referenced in the name Anne Says So.

Let's just say this: Anne begins with an A. My maiden name began with an S. My married name begins with an S. As a Southern gal who will monogram anything that sits still long enough, such a monogram didn't sit well with me.

So I kept my old monogram, IAS, and love the symmetry of a vowel on either side of my last initial. Plus I can use all of my old stationery and luggage! I officially have four names on my social security card - wouldn't drop my maiden name, couldn't have a bleep-able monogram. Such a conundrum!

It's especially funny knowing that I'd wanted to drop my first name, a family name, for most of my life. I wanted to be Anne S. McIntyre (Joey's wife, obviously) from the age of 8. But God had a better plan for me - and a funnier one. So I. Anne Smith I am.

Sarah, however, has a sense of humor about the Southern love for monograms and distaste for salty language. The whole situation was so darn funny that she created Anne Says So, after my initials, to commemorate the delightful dilemma.

And here we are today! Love to Sarah and thanks to all of y'all for swinging by!

6 comments:

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

such a cute post! happy 2 years! i had no idea that A.S.S. was your name and your blog. :) i love it all nonetheless.

Margaret said...

i know your full name and it never hit me that your initials are ASS---hilarious!!! :) happy 2 years! i love your blog!!!!

MatersandMelons said...

That is so funny! I would have picked to use IAS, too!

Love the blog, so thanks to your friend for starting it!

Kathy said...

HA! Hilarious!

EKM said...

that's so funny. my friend (@EAStallings) will have the same probably bc she goes by AS and well lets hope she doesn't marry a MR. S!)

Anne said...

Thanks, y'all! A monogram's the last thing on a girl's mind when she meets "the One" - but boy, can it make for a funny story afterwards!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails


      

      



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved