May 5, 2008

Catching up

Due to a mystery virus that had me out of commission from mid-Thursday on, I haven't gotten to chat much since April wrapped up. I made no social phone calls from Thursday to Sunday - wow. Skipping meals and staying quiet are both surefire signs that I'm under the weather.

Hope you're all enjoying your day and starting your week off happily. As for me, a bit to report:

There are few things more inherently sweet, simple or Southern than the love of a girl for her dad. Since this blog was created to spotlight such things, here's a tidbit that fits the bill. On Thursday, May 1st, my dad got some great news - his test results have returned with an all-clear. Looks like his cancer has been chased away!! (I'm sure there are more technical terms for it, but I'll go with what I can wrap my head around.) After his surgery before Christmas, this is just what our family has been praying for.

I called him to share my tale of virus-induced woe, not realizing that it was May yet and thus follow-up appointment time. After ten minutes of chatting, Dad finally got to squeeze in his fabulous news.

That being said, I had mentally written something remarkable and moving (no doubt) to share with y'all on Thursday, the National Day of Prayer. I'm sure it was a quick list of the many handfuls of things I have to be grateful for, friends I was remembering, and wonderful ways I was celebrating the holiday in my own little life. And then I found out that the most pressing of my prayer requests, that my amazing dad would continue on his road to recovery, had been answered in full. (And fever kicked in, erasing all traces of such deep thoughts from my mind.)

Feverish or not, I was overjoyed. Please know that, if you're reading this, you were no doubt one of the fantastic women (or men, Dad!) I was remembering that day - and every day. I try my hardest not to breeze through life, taking things or, even worse, people for granted.

So I'm celebrating Cinco de Mayo with a giant, heartfelt thank-you prayer, and lots of gratitude for all of the people who've prayed for me and my family lately. (Or anytime, actually.) We've had a crazy 18 months or so, but I can absolutely say that things have never been better. None of us have ever been better taken care of, and I for one have never been happier.

I don't know if I have been doing back handsprings of happiness during the longer days, but Jeremiah 29:11 has never rung truer - and I'm grateful for the friends who reminded me of it. Or just listened or prayed or sent Diet Cokes and hugs and cards my way.

Certain thoughts are prayers. There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees. ~Victor Hugo

P.S. Just a virtual high-five to Bradley, who'll never read this, for making me feel so much better by letting me sleep excessively, eat breakfast for dinner and watch all of the Thursday night shows on DVR that I was too comatose to catch the first time around.

Can't wait to return phone calls and emails this week! Enough about me. Fill me in on what you've been up to, already!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails


      

      



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved