February 24, 2010

Crazy Week, Big Changes!

Sorry to have been silent for a bit, y'all! The past week has seen us fighting off RSV and bronchiolitis (in Mac), pink eye (in me - fun times), a sinus infection (in Bradley) and doing most of that as a single parent while B was in California for a conference. Thank goodness for Mac's grandmothers!

In all of the germ-fighting we've been doing the last week, I haven't gotten a chance to tell you about the big change around the Smith household. I'm going solo!!

No, not as a parent - as a PR practitioner. As of last week, I've left the world of full-time work and am going freelance. We are so excited and I have lots to share on that front soon!

I spent a very worthwhile two and a half years at my agency and I adore the fabulous friends I met there. Even so, it became clear recently that it was time for us to start a new chapter.

Having Mac and a full-time job turned out to be quite different than I'd imagined. (Maybe I didn't imagine it enough before he arrived...)

Between pumping, packing and unpacking diaper bags, washing nine bottles each night, daily baby laundry, trying to throw together food for us grown-ups, getting Mac into a nighttime routine and attempting to stay afloat with my to do lists, I was work-focused (preparing for work, commuting or doing work) no less than 13 hours a day.

Not to mention the cold, stomach bug, RSV and bronchiolitis Mac managed to pick up in his two months at his daycare. (We're going to miss everyone there, but not the germs!)

My working mom routine left little wiggle room - I pretty much put aside household chores, running errands, grocery shopping, keeping in touch with our friends and families, taking care of Blue or spending time with my sweet husband.

That's not to say it's impossible to juggle everything, as I know many moms do it with far more children than our one tiny Mac. For us, though, this is the right choice.

I'm so excited to have a more flexible schedule and grateful for the opportunity to try out something between stay-at-home-momhood and working 40 hours a week. Those of you who know me well realize that change is not my strong suit, so stepping into something entirely new is a big deal for me. It's nothing I took lightly or rushed into, but after plenty of time talking, praying and thinking about it, it was time to leap.

I imagined my first week "out" would be a touch less hectic than it's been, though. Besides the doctors' appointments, baby care and usual house stuff that fill up my daily routine, my to do list looks like this for the week:

No matter what season of life we're in, I know few people with a lot of downtime. There will always be something in our world that keeps us on our toes. I'm just excited to be the one handling things again!

Here's hoping there are a few more check marks on this list later today....

Details to come! xoxo

15 comments:

mgoodner said...

That is such exciting news! It is definitely difficult to work full time and have a little one--glad you found a way to make it all work! :)

Katie said...

Congratulations, Anne! That's so exciting!

Harriet said...

I"m happy for you. I promise you will not regret your decision - it's one of the best I've made.

Shelley Suttles said...

So excited for you Anne! RSV is the worst. Graham had it two weeks ago, so I know what you've been through. I hope Mac is feeling better.

Mary Katherine said...

I can't believe I had no idea! That's so exciting! Best of luck with everything!

Traci Theodore said...

I am so happy for you... you will truly be able to "have it all." (well, as much as possible, anyway):-) ENJOY!

Beth Messervy said...

Congratulations!!! Working freelance is fabulous when you have a little one. The best part: Mac doesn't care if you don't get out of your pajamas until 4pm. :) I am sure that you will adjust well to your new schedule, especially since you have control over it.

rachel halsey said...

Congratulations on the exciting "leap"!

Misty said...

I am so excited for you and stoked that you made such a brave decision. I think sometimes us women forget that we can't do it all, even though we think we can, we have to step back and refocus. It is awesome that you can go freelance and still focus on you, but do it on your own terms...that rocks. Enjoy that precious boy for as long as you can!

Rowena said...

I am still so very proud of you!

Emily said...

ahh congrats my friend:) So glad you stopped bye my blog! your lil family is soo cute... your lil guy is a doll!! yay!!

The View from Up Here said...

I'm so happy for you!!!! You'll make it work! :)

The Gaymons said...

I hope that you at least made time to make that massage appt.! A girl's gotta priorities. = )

So fun seeing you and your boys tonight. Hope ya'll have a great week!

LyndsAU said...

I am so beyond excited for you :) congrats!!! lets emai chat soon, or gmail chat if you have it :)

Nicole said...

Congrats, Anne! That is such exciting news!! What a little cutie pie you'll have for a boss! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails


      

      



 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved